Sliced Mango with Lime and Chili Powder -&- We're in the Paper!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My God, this is so deliciously shibby it should be illegal. I mean, I'm pretty sure I could commit the very act of murder and then villainously present any witnesses and/or accusers with this dish. They would be so enamored with the flavors that it would grant me time enough to commit the deed again. (Yes, I suppose that villains are defeated in the long run, but they have more fun along the way than the heroes do.)

The mango is sweet, the lime is slightly salty and of super citrusy, the slightest dusting of chili powder gives it a little bit of kick. A formal recipe would be silly and a waste of both our time; you chop up a mango, juice a fresh lime over it, then give it a light sprinkle of chili powder. Done.

A fabu little dish perfect for beating the heat, it meets all of my recipe requirements: simple, cheap, quick, and tasty. Make it for yourself or serve it as a light salad, appetizer, or even dessert. Now, I wonder if I can adapt these flavors to a cupcake?

Or murder. Whichever.
__________________

By the by, Vanilla Garlic was mentioned in the Sac Bee today along with Everything Rachael Ray by Madeline, and Cakegrrl.com by Kristy, and quite a few others! Check out a copy of the article today! There is one large article, and then three individual interviews. Special thanks to Bob Sylva for writing the piece about the Sac food blogging community and Kevin German for the photos. Be sure to check out the other Sac Bloggers too, links located in the sidebar!

Many others were mentioned too, such as Pie is the New Toast, Simply Recipes, Chucrute com Salsicha, and Yogurt Land! Hope you enjoy.

13 comments:

  1. Just read the article. What a great way to start the morning, reading about 3 of my favorite blogging sites.

    Thanks for the mango idea. I usually end up just using them for smoothies 'cause I am mango-cutting incompetent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the addition of the chili powder. And congrats on the Sac-Bee mention, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was also a snack that they sold in Lodi at the Zinfest, and it was perfect with some of the lighter bodied varietals! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the pictures! It was done very creatively. Thanks to Bob Sylva for such a nice article.
    And you look so handsome! :-*

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous - have a mango at home that is super ripe!

    congrats on being in the paper!!! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all looked "gaw-juss" in the Bee today. What a wonderfully creative photographer! Captured the spirits of all of the sites. Great article, so fun to wake up to some of my favorite food bloggers in the news. Seriously! My neighbor woke me up this morning, bringing over the article in case we didn't get the Bee, which of course we do. Love the mango, lime, and chile too - yummm. Yet another wonderful thing to do with mangos.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my fav. ways to eat fruits, especially Guavas ( try THAT) and raw mangoes,with a little lime and hot chili powder......
    There's a Fruit seasoning called "Tajin" that you can buy at Walmart for the same purpose....its awesome on fruits and such.

    Cool pic.
    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG that is one of my next cupcake ideas - mango, lime and chilli.
    I am putting the chilli in the buttercream.
    I plan to get make in the next month to celebrate the start of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS!!! I saw the article. It was huge! I love the picture. That's so great. I'm thrilled for you Mr. Celeb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. waw that picture is very tempting. the juicy mangoes, lime and pepper is a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to you!!! :) I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the mention!

    I love the combination of fruit with chili! If you like this, you might also enjoy plum powder on fruit such as guava, apples and mango. You can get plum powder in any oriental store.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried adding lime and chili powder to a nice juicy mango. The lime was a nice addition I thought, but the chili powder didn't seem to do much of anything for it. Perhaps I didn't add enough, or maybe I should have thrown on a pinch of salt too. But thanks for the idea anyway, it gave me something new to try which is one of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you're leaving a comment! That's pretty darn cool, so thanks. If you have any questions or have found an error on the site or with a recipe, please e-mail me and I will reply as soon as possible.
~Garrett

Vanilla Garlic All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger