Sinfully Sincere. Gracefully Vainglorious. (Mason's Revisited)

Tuesday, October 3, 2006

"Oh God... just... God..." said Rob breathlessly.

"That sounds about right. Damn, I've never had it that good before." I replied, a smile creeping over my face.

We had just come back from the oh-so seductive and gracefully vainglorious Mason's for Rob's birthday. After going through dozens of options of where to eat, our last experience there left a firm impression engraved upon Rob's soul that only its inner food lover's sanctum would be worthy of the special occasion.

"I know it's your birthday, but I'm leaving you for Mason's."

Rob stared ahead. "Yeah, I would leave me for Mason's too."

Once again, Mason's did a phenomenal job at molding and presenting a perfect dining experience. The service is still like nothing I've had before. Mason's helps deliver not just fantastic food, but lets you live a small fantasy life. Over classy cocktails, dressed to the nines with fabulous friends, and chatting in the tastefully retro yet cloyingly contemporary dining room makes you feel like the one of those high uppity-ups you might see on an episode of Sex and the City. Luvs it! (Pardon my alliteration in this post, but I can't help but use it when I write in such a giddy state.)

Our waiter this time - his name was Chris, I highly suggest you ask to be seated in his area - was thoroughly knowledgeable in all aspects of the menu and restaurant. Being so knowledgeable about this menu is no simple feat as we will go into later, so all of us at the table were quite impressed. He was able to explain to me what Haricot Vert was (a green bean that costs $5 more than a regular green bean is my summation); to be schooled in not just knowing the dishes but knowing the intricacies of some very eccentric ingredients was most impressive.

His recommendations and descriptions were clear and expressive, allowing us all to get a clear picture of what each dish was. He was even able to answer a few questions that I had about overhead and practices of the restaurant, which I had for reasons even unknown to me, had been pondering. He even sweetly chased me down a block after I left with the restaurant's credit card slip and left them with the customer copy because I'm a dingus. Snaps for the waiter.

The hostess, floor manager, and bartender were al equally fabulous. Snaps for them too. >^.^< onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="http://static.flickr.com/75/259466824_ea4a2f973c.jpg?v=0">

The main dishes were each amazing in their own respect. Kapow! Monkfish in a deep saffron sauce! Zing! Ribeye steak! Boom! Seared Black Bass! The bass itself was the equivalent to the best sex you've ever had.

Desserts were bold and daring. The chocolate lava cake with pistachio gelato was deep and sensual. It enveloped you in comforting warmth and chocolate. The bread pudding seemed a little over the top in it, more flare than was necessary, but the flavor with the vanilla bean gelato was perfect. Paired with the sage syrup, it left this heartfelt aftertaste that left images of cuddling by the fire in my mind.

A small slip or two, but another award winning night. Do yourself a favor and check it out!

Mason's

The Park Downtown
1116 15th St.
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 492-1960
http://www.theparkdowntown.com/page.php?url=masons

See Previous Review

6 comments:

  1. Can never have too much desert flare :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous. Jealous. Jealous. ;-)

    Sounds like a fab birthday.

    [And hey, send me some vanilla bean gelato, pretty please?]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've found "your" spot... shibby, snaps, sinful and delicious?! Yum. Nothing like a meal that hits *all* the taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the deal with un-appetizing appetizers? I have experienced a few myself lately. Appetizers are supposed to make you want more, you know? Glad you both had a pleasant experience overall :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WMM - Oh honey, I tend to disagree. After a certain point the flare just becomes either gross, ostentatious, or bothersome. I've had a dessert or two that just needed to turn it down a notch.

    Karina - How about this. We switch places for a day. You can eat here, and I get all the New Mexico food. Deal?

    JJ - It's a great spot. Just for special occassions though, lol. They are on the pricier side of my budget. :P

    CakeGrrl: Yeah, the appetizer was kinda odd. It was like the best damn, richest, cheesiest sour cream and onion potato chip ever. Yummy, but I don't think i could eat another; too rich. Plus, I eat my fair share of potato chips as it is. LOL. Still yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt like I was there! I am soooo jealous too, sounds like an excellent dining experience. I'll have to send my mom this link if she decides to move to Sac!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you're leaving a comment! That's pretty darn cool, so thanks. If you have any questions or have found an error on the site or with a recipe, please e-mail me and I will reply as soon as possible.
~Garrett

Vanilla Garlic All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger